At TasOGS our all-female Obstetricians provide comprehensive antenatal, birthing and postnatal care for women who are planning to birth at the Hobart Private Hospital.
Your primary Obstetrician will provide your antenatal care at our TasOGS rooms. This antenatal care will include regular antenatal visits at specific gestations during your pregnancy and planning for the safe birth of your baby. Information about these regular visits are described on our Antenatal Appointments page. Blood tests and ultrasounds may be provided onsite or at recommended pathology and ultrasound providers.
During the course of your antenatal care you will meet your other obstetrician at TasOGS. This ensures that you are always familiar with the TasOGS obstetrician at your birth if your primary obstetrician is not available.
Our Obstetricians support vaginal births, elective caesarean sections and vaginal birth after a previous caesarean section when safe for you and your baby.
One of our Obstetricians is always on-call and available for emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
Other pregnancy services available from our TasOGS Obstetricians include invasive fetal testing (amniocentesis), consultations for high risk pregnancies and complex deliveries.
We provide care for normal pregnancies as well as complex and high risk pregnancies, including:
- Pregnancies with previous caesarean sections, including vaginal birth after caesarean section.
- Multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets and higher)
- IVF pregnancies
- Advanced maternal age
- Breech presentation
- Previous preterm births
- Previous pregnancy loss or miscarriage
- Pregnancies complicated by maternal medical disorders such as diabetes, thyroid disorders, epilepsy, hypertension, lupus and arthropathies, cardiac disease, renal impairment, neurological and neuromuscular disorders, gastrointestinal disease, respiratory disease, solid organ transplants, infectious diseases and mental health illness.
Immediate postnatal care is provided daily by your TasOGS Obstetrician during your stay at Hobart Private Hospital. 6 weeks after the birth of your baby we recommend you are reviewed in our rooms by your primary Obstetrician. If you have any concerns during this time we recommend you contact the rooms for advice or review.
TasOGS is committed to ensure that all of our women obtain the personal care of an obstetrician who is:
- Open-minded about conception, pregnancy and birthing preferences.
- Personable and non-judgemental towards women, their families and support networks.
- Very aware of the physical, psychological and social impacts a pregnancy may have on a woman’s wellbeing.
- Available by phone at all times for the discussion of any acute concerns.
- Able to meet you at the Hobart Private Hospital in the case of an emergency.