TasOGS Gynaecologist Dr Kirsten Connan is an experienced FRANZCOG specialist, providing a broad range of gynaecological care, including both specialist gynaecological consultations at TasOGS and gynaecological surgery at Hobart Private Hospital with her accomplished surgical team.
Kirsten's two biggest areas of interest are in pelvic pain & endometriosis, and advanced laparoscopic surgery.
Dr Connan, along with the TasOGS team of Specialist Women's Health GPs, also manages a range of other gynaecological needs, including: well-women checks, PAP smears, contraception, IUDs, menopause, polycystic ovarian syndrome, ovarian cysts, fibroids, STI screening, infertility, ovulation induction, and investigation of miscarriage.
Our experienced doctors have a broad and complimentary skill-set, and are able to provide a wide range of gynaecological services, include both gynaecological consultations in our practice rooms and gynaecological surgery:
- Contraceptive advice, choice and prescriptions.
- Well women checks, including PAP smears.
- Screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- Investigation and management of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
- Management of heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia).
- Management of menopause.
- Investigation and management of pelvic pain, including endometriosis.
- Investigation and management of ovarian cysts and fimbrial cysts.
- Investigation of infertility and ovulation induction.
- Investigation and management of recurrent miscarriage.
- Investigation and management of uterine fibroids.
- Investigation of post-menopausal bleeding.
- Vulval disorders.
- Sexual health.
Together our TasOGS Women's Health doctors can provide the following procedural services in our rooms:
- IUD (intrauterine contraceptive device) insertion, such as the Mirena® or traditional copper IUDs.
- Insertion and removal of Implanon® contraceptive implants.
- Insertion of hormonal implants.
- Endometrial biopsy.
TasOGS Gynaecologist, Dr Kirsten Connan operates at Hobart Private Hospital. The surgical procedures performed include:
- Diagnostic and operative hysteroscopy.
- Diagnostic and operative laparoscopy.
- Abdominal and laparoscopic hysterectomies.
- Novasure® and Thermablate® endometrial ablation for menorrhagia.
- Prophylactic bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (BSO) for women at high risk of ovarian or breast cancer (eg. carriers of BRCA gene mutation).
- Excision of Bartholin cysts and vulval lesions.
- Medically-indicated labioplasty.
Dr Connan has a special interest in advanced laparoscopic surgery ('keyhole surgery'), providing both emergency and elective laparoscopic surgery. She has extra training and experience for the laparoscopic treatment of severe endometriosis and in performing total laparoscopic hysterectomies.
When suitable, minimally-invasive laparoscopic surgery can lead to faster and less painful recoveries, fewer days in hospital and time away from work and home, and reduced scarring. Dr Connan's laparoscopic services include diagnostic laparoscopy, dye studies, treatment of endometriosis, treatment of ectopic pregnancy, removal of cysts, tubes or ovaries, and laparoscopic hysterectomies.
During your post-operative stay at Hobart Private Hospital you will be reviewed each day by your Gynaecologists. Follow-up appointments will be made at discharge for review by a Women's Health doctor back in the TasOGS rooms.